A NEW MASTER
KEY VERSE: MATTHEW 6:33
When we become a Christian, we change masters and begin to live under new ownership. Because we have surrendered the control of our lives to Christ, He becomes the new ruler. Even though He becomes our Savior at conversion, He still wants to become our sovereign Lord and Master. We can only enjoy our New Life in Christ as we seek His will and walk in obedience.
Why does a person try to be his own master?
Compare the old life with the new life:
The old life: The new life:
1. Satan as ruler 1. Christ as Lord
2. Bondage 2. Liberty
When Christ is invited into our lives, He comes as a guest. However, it is possible to be forgiven and yet have a divided heart. It is only by making Christ LORD OF ALL that we will be led by our New Master. The key to the leadership of God is the Lordship of Christ. In this lesson, we will study what it means to have a New Master and follow His leading.
“UNTIL A COMMITMENT IS MADE TO ONE MASTER, THE EYE WILL ALWAYS BE MOVING TO FIND GREENER PASTURE.”
I. THE DISASTER OF TRYING TO SERVE TWO MASTERS
We become miserable when a noble cause before us reveals a divided heart within us.
1. What conflicting attitudes arise when we try to serve two masters?
Matthew 6:24 _________________________
2. What are some results of a divided heart?
A. James 1:8 _________________________
B. Romans 7:15 ___________________________
C. Romans 7:18 ___________________________
D. Romans 7:19 ___________________________
E. Romans 7:23 ___________________________
3. Why do we try to serve two masters? Matthew 6:22-23
“What we SEE is what we SEEK”
II. THE DECISION TO MAKE CHRIST LORD OF ALL
Life’s living option:
Every man has a choice to make.
Every man has the ability to make that choice.
Every man lives the life he chooses.
Every man receives the consequence of that choice.
1. What did Joshua challenge the people to do who were trying to serve two masters? Joshua 24:14-15
2. How did Elijah deal with those who were undecided about which God to serve? I Kings 18:21-37
III. THE DESIRE TO KEEP CHRIST FIRST IN EVERYTHING
1. Our part in Matthew 6:33 is to:
God’s part in Matthew 6:33 is to:
2. What are the benefits of seeking first the Kingdom of God?
3. How does our choice to make Christ Lord change our priorities? Matthew 6:33
4. In what ways does “new ownership” lead us to “new relationship?” Revelation 3:20
5. How did Jesus deal with the temptation to serve two Masters? Matthew 4:8-10