A NEW GUIDEBOOK
How to Understand the Bible
KEY VERSE: II Timothy 3:16, 17
Traveling alone in an unfamiliar territory without a map is an uncertain way to go. Being a Christian changes all of that. Christ became the guide with the Bible as the guidebook.
Jesus taught that the Word of God is our spiritual food just like bread is our physical food. Matthew 4:4
Why should a Christian study the Bible every day?
Compare the old life with the new:
The old life: The new life:
1. No direction 1. New pathway
2. Wrong reading materials 2. Bible & good books
God’s Word must be taken in daily portions. There is no such thing as “instant growth” by reading the Bible in one setting and ignoring it for days. God is committed to the process as well as the product.
God has given us the Bible so that we might discover His love and learn to enjoy His presence. As a new Christian, you will begin reading the Bible regularly.
Our purpose for living as Christians is primary twofold:
1. To know God
2. To make Him known
In this lesson, we will learn what the Bible is, how to study the Bible, and how to know God better.
The Bible is the key to knowing God since He revealed who He is by means of scripture. The Bible is the world’s most valuable treasure and the reading of it is a persons most profitable exercise.
I. WHAT IS THE BIBLE?
1. It is a total of ______ different books written by 40 different authors over a period of 2000 years.
2. In our key verse, we learn that all scripture is _____ ________ by God. Discuss what that means.
A. Matthew 4:4 tells us that the Word comes from:
B. Matthew 5:18 says that the scripture will last until:
C. II Peter 1:20-21 teaches that the scripture did not come from __________ but from __________.
3. What does John 17:17 say the Word of God is?
II. WHY SHOULD WE STUDY THE BIBLE?
1. I Corinthians 2:12-13 tells us that we should study the scripture to understand:
2. Romans 15:4 says that the Bible was written to __________ so we might have __________.
3. Luke 24:27,44,45 shows us that we study the Word of God to find out about:
III. WHY WILL THE STUDY OF SCRIPTURE HELP ME?
1. It is through Bible study that we grow in Christ and become victorious.
A. What are we to use when fighting the devil’s schemes? Ephesians 6:17
B. How does scripture memorization help us according to Psalm 119:11?
C. In John 14:23 Jesus teaches us that our desire to know God’s Word is based on our __________ for Him.
2. Use the form below to discover more about the Bible and what it does in our lives.
STUDY PSALM 19:7-11
What the Bible is called It’s characteristics What it will do for me
Verse 7a ______law_______ ___perfect____ ____renews____
Verse 7b ________________ ____________ ______________
Verse 8a ________________ ____________ ______________
Verse 8b ________________ ____________ ______________
Verse 9a ________________ ____________ ______________
Verse 9b ________________ ____________ ______________
Verse 10 __gold & honey____ ___valuable__ __sweetens life__
Verse 11 A WARNING: By my OBEDIENCE I will receive a great reward
3. What are the results of meditating on the Word according to Psalm 1?
What truth from God’s Word has especially helped you recently?
APPLICATION: Establish a T.A.W.G. - Time Alone With God
1. Choose a time and be consistent
2. Choose a place that is quiet and secluded
3. Have a plan
A. Begin with prayer,
B. Mark your Bible,
C. Choose a favorite verse each day and mark “FV”,
D. Pray for yourself and others using that verse.