A NEW COMMUNICATION
Prayer & Worship
To Print this page please right click and click "Print..." or hit ctrl+p
KEY VERSE: John 16:24
For any relationship to become meaningful, there must be constant communication. Prayer is
one of the ways we can communicate with Christ. When a person becomes a Christian, he discovers the opportunities that prayer offers.
Since prayer is talking to God, what aspects of good communication are necessary?
Compare the old life with the new:
The old life: The new life:
1.Using God's name in 1.Talking to God in love
2. Praying in emergencies 2. Desire to pray everyday
Prayer is not only asking what we wish of God but offering what Hewishes of us. Even though some praying comes naturally to a new Christian, we still must learn the discipline of effective praying. In this lesson we will see how prayer is the way we build a meaningful and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.
I. EFFECTIVE PRAYING IS BASED UPON OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST.
1.According to James 5:16, what kind of person prays effectively?
2. According to Hebrews 4:14-16, how can we have the confidence to draw near to God?
3. According to John 14:14, what one thing must we do before God will work on our behalf?
To ask in His name means to ask in His authority and on His merit.
II. EFFECTIVE PRAYING CAN BE HINDERED BY IMPROPER CONDUCT.
1.What reason for not receiving an answer to our prayers do we find in James 4:3?
2.If we have unconfessed sin in our lives, what does Psalm 66:18 say will happen to our
3.According to Matthew 6:14-15 what must we do to receive forgiveness from God?
4. What does James 1:6-7 say will keep us from receiving anything from the Lord?
III. EFFECTIVE PRAYING IS DETERMINED BY CERTAIN CONDITIONS
1. When we pray how does God respond? Jeremiah 33:3
2.What happens when people pray together? Matthew 18:19
3.What limits what God does? Ephesians 3:20
4. In what way does Matthew 7:9-11 tell us that God’s response to our prayers is like that of
a good father’s response to His children?
5. What does I Peter 5:7 encourage us to do during prayer?